Saptarshi Bandyopadhyay is currently a Robotics Technologist at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology. He received his Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering in January 2016 from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, supervised by Prof. Soon-Jo Chung from Caltech and Dr. Fred Hadaegh from JPL. He was awarded the Stillwell Fellowship and the Aerospace Alumni Advisory Board Fellowship during his graduate studies. After his PhD, Saptarshi was a Postdoctoral researcher at UIUC with Prof. Soon-Jo Chung and at JPL with Dr. Amir Rahmani.
Saptarshi received his Dual Degree (B.Tech and M.Tech) in Aerospace Engineering in 2010 from the Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, India. At IIT Bombay, he cofounded and led the student satellite project. IIT Bombays Pratham satellite was launched into low Earth orbit in September 2016. Saptarshi won the gold medal for India at the 9th International Astronomy Olympiad held in Ukraine in 2004. Saptarshis research interests include aerospace systems, robotics, multi-agent systems and swarms, dynamics and controls, estimation theory, probability theory, and systems engineering. He has published more than 30 papers in journals and refereed conferences.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Department of Aerospace Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC)
- Dual Degree (Bachelor & Master of Technology), Department of Aerospace Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IIT Bombay)
- Postdoctoral Researcher, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology [June 2016-March 2017]
- Postdoctoral Researcher, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) [Jan.-June 2016]
- Dynamics and Controls,
- Probability Theory,
- Analysis of Networks,
- Consensus and Synchronization,
- Formation Flying,
- Robotics (Quadrotors),
- Motion Planning,
- Systems Engineering,
- Flying Cars
Some selected papers:
- S. Bandyopadhyay, S.-J. Chung and F. Y. Hadaegh, “Probabilistic and Distributed Control of a Large-Scale Swarm of Autonomous Agents,” IEEE Transactions on Robotics (TRO), 2017
- S. Bandyopadhyay, S.-J. Chung and F. Y. Hadaegh, “Nonlinear Attitude Control of Spacecraft with a Large Captured Object,” AIAA Journal of Guidance, Control, and Dynamics (JGCD), Vol. 39, No. 4, pp. 754-769, 2016.
- S. Bandyopadhyay, R. Foust, G. P. Subramanian, S.-J. Chung, and F. Y. Hadaegh, “Review of Formation Flying and Constellation Missions Using Nanosatellites,” AIAA Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, Vol. 53, No. 3, pp. 567-578, 2016.
See full list of publications at http://publish.illinois.edu/saptarshibandyopadhyay/publications/