Senior Robotics Engineer
- General Space Robotics:
- A. Howard and E. Tunstel, Editors, "Intelligence for Space Robotics," TSI Press, San Antonio, TX, 2006.
- E. Tunstel, T. Huntsberger and E. Baumgartner, "Earth-Based Rover Field Testing for Exploration Missions on Mars," Proc. World Automation Congress, International Symposium on Robotics with Applications, Vol. 15, Seville, Spain, 2004, pp. 307-312.
- Schenker, P.S., T.L. Huntsberger, P. Pirjanian, E.T. Baumgartner, and E. Tunstel, "Planetary Rover Developments Supporting Mars Exploration, Sample Return and
Future Human-Robotic Colonization," Autonomous Robots, Vol. 14, 2003, pp. 103-126.
- Tunstel, E., "Autonomous Mobility Software Validation Challenges for Planetary Surface Missions," Int'l Conf. on Space Mission Challenges for Information Technology, Pasadena, CA, 2003, pp. 167-173.
- T. Huntsberger, H. Aghazarian, Y. Cheng, E.T. Baumgartner, E. Tunstel, C. Leger, A. Trebi-Ollennu and P.S. Schenker, "Rover Autonomy for Long Range Navigation and Science Data Acquisition on Planetary Surfaces," IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Washington, DC, 2002, pp. 3161-3168.
- E. Tunstel, T. Huntsberger, H. Aghazarian, P. Backes, E. Baumgartner, Y, Cheng, M. Garrett, B. Kennedy, C. Leger, L. Magnone, J. Norris, M. Powell, A. Trebi-Ollennu and P. Schenker, "FIDO Rover Field Trials as Rehearsal for the 2003 Mars Exploration Rover Mission," 9th Intl. Symp. on Robotics & Applications, 5th World Automation Congress, Orlando, FL, 2002.
- P. Schenker, T. Huntsberger, P. Pirjanian, E. Baumgartner, H. Aghazarian, A. Trebi-Ollennu, P. Leger, Y. Cheng, P. Backes, E. Tunstel, S. Dubowsky, K. Iagnemma and G. McKee, "Robotic Automation for Space: Planetary surface exploration, terrain-adaptive mobility, and multi-robot cooperative tasks," Proc. SPIE Intelligent Robots and Computer Vision XX: Algorithms, Techniques, and Active Vision Conference, Vol. #4572, 2001.
- T. Estlin. S. Hayati, A. Jain, J. Yen, G. Rabideau, R. Castano, R. Petras, S. Peters, D. Decoste, E. Tunstel, S. Chien, E. Mjolsness, R. Steele, D. Mutz, A. Gray and T. Mann, "An Integrated Architecture for Cooperating Rovers," 5th International Symposium on Artificial Intelligence, Robotics and Automation in Space, Noordwijk, The Netherlands, 1999, pp. 255-262.
- E. Tunstel, R. Welch and B. Wilcox, "Embedded Control of a Miniature Science Rover for Planetary Exploration," 7th International Symposium on Robotics with Applications, 3rd World Automation Congress, Anchorage, Alaska, 1998.
- J.M. Cameron, E. Tunstel, T. Nguyen and B.K. Cooper, "Manipulator Control for Rover Planetary Exploration," SPIE Cooperative Intelligent Robotics in Space III, V. 1829, Boston, MA, 1992, pp. 495-504.
- Intelligent Control / Soft Computing:
- T. Huntsberger, H. Aghazarian and E. Tunstel, "Onboard Adaptive Learning for Planetary Surface Rover Control in Rough Terrain," IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Barcelona, Spain, 2005.
- Tunstel, E., Howard, A., Huntsberger, T.,Trebi-Ollennu, A. and Dolan, J.M, "Applied Soft Computing Strategies for Autonomous Field Robotics," in C. Zhou,
D. Maravall, and D. Ruan (Eds.), Autonomous Robotic Systems: Soft Computing and Hard Computing Methodologies and Applications, Studies in Fuzziness and Soft Computing Series, Physica-Verlag, Heidelberg; New York, 2003.
- E. Tunstel, A. Howard, "Approximate Reasoning for Safety and Survivability of Planetary Rovers," Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Special Issue: Fuzzy Set Techniques for Intelligent Robotic Systems, Vol. 134, No. 1, 2003, 27-46.
- E. Tunstel, A. Howard, and H. Seraji, "Rule-Based Reasoning and Neural Network Perception for Safe Off-Road Mobility," Expert Systems: The International Journal of Knowledge Engineering and Neural Networks, Vol. 19, No. 4, 2002, 191-200.
- E. Tunstel, M.A.A. de Oliveira, and S. Berman, "Fuzzy Behavior Hierarchies for Multi-Robot Control," International Journal of Intelligent Systems, Special Issue: Hierarchical Fuzzy Systems, Vol. 17, No. 5, 2002, 449-470.
- E. Tunstel, "Ethology as an Inspiration for Adaptive Behavior Synthesis in Autonomous Planetary Rovers," Autonomous Robots, Special Issue on Biomorphic Robotics, Vol. 11, No. 3, 2001, 333-339.
- E. Tunstel, "Fuzzy-Behavior Synthesis, Coordination, and Evolution in an Adaptive Behavior Hierarchy," in Saffiotti, A. and Driankov, D. (Eds.) Fuzzy Logic Techniques for Autonomous Vehicle Navigation, Studies in Fuzziness and Soft Computing Series, Vol. 61, Physica-Verlag, Heidelberg; New York, 2001.
- E. Tunstel, H. Seraji and A. Howard, "Soft Computing Approach to Safe Navigation of Autonomous Planetary Rovers," in A. Zilouchian & M. Jamshidi (Eds.), Intelligent Control Systems Using Soft Computing Methodologies, CRC Press LLC, 2001.
- H. Seraji, A. Howard and E. Tunstel, "Terrain-based Navigation of Mobile Robots: A fuzzy logic approach," 6th International Symposium on Artificial Intelligence, Robotics and Automation in Space, Montreal, Canada, 2001.
- A. Howard, E. Tunstel, D. Edwards and A. Carlson, "Enhancing Fuzzy Robot Navigation Systems by Mimicking Human Visual Perception of Natural Terrain Traversability," Joint 9th IFSA World Congress/20th NAFIPS International Conference, Vancouver, Canada, 2001.
- E. Tunstel, "Evolution of Autonomous Self-Righting Behaviors for Articulated Nanorovers," 5th International Symposium on Artificial Intelligence, Robotics and Automation in Space (i-SAIRAS), Noordwijk, The Netherlands, 1999, pp. 341-346.
- E. Tunstel, "Fuzzy-Behavior Modulation with Threshold Activation for Autonomous Vehicle Navigation," 18th International Conference of the North American Fuzzy Information Processing Society (NAFIPS), New York, NY, 1999, pp. 776-780.
- E. Tunstel, H. Danny, T. Lippincott and M. Jamshidi, "Fuzzy Behavior-based Navigation for Planetary Microrovers," Proc. of the NASA University Research Center Technical Conference, Albuquerque, NM, Feb. 1997, pp. 729-734.
- H. Xue, M. Jamshidi and E. Tunstel, "Genetic Algorithms for Optimization of Fuzzy Systems in Prediction and Control," International Journal of Knowledge-Based Intelligent Engineering Systems, Vol. 1, No. 1, 1997, pp. 13-21.
- E. Tunstel, T. Lippincott and M. Jamshidi, "Behavior Hierarchy for Autonomous Mobile Robots: Fuzzy-behavior modulation and evolution," International Journal of Intelligent Automation and Soft Computing, Vol. 3, No. 1, 1997, pp. 37-49.
- E. Tunstel and M. Jamshidi, "Intelligent Control and Evolution of Mobile Robot Behavior," in Jamshidi, Titli, Zadeh, & Boverie (Eds.) Applications of Fuzzy Logic: Towards High Machine Intelligent Quotient Systems, Volume 8, Prentice-Hall Series on Environmental & Intelligent Manufacturing Systems, 1997.
- E. Tunstel, "Mobile Robot Autonomy via Hierarchical Fuzzy Behavior Control," 6th Intl. Symp. on Robotics & Manuf., WAC'96, Montpellier, France, May 1996, pp. 837-842.
- E. Tunstel, M. Jamshidi, "On Genetic Programming of Fuzzy Rule-based Systems for Intelligent Control," International Journal of Intelligent Automation and Soft Computing, Vol. 2, No. 3, 1996, pp. 273-284.
- E. Tunstel, "Coordination of Distributed Fuzzy Behaviors in Mobile Robot Control," IEEE Intl. Conf. on Systems, Man, & Cybernetics, Vancouver, BC, Canada, Oct. 1995, pp. 4009-4014.
- Mission Operations:
- E. Tunstel, M. Maimone, A. Trebi-Ollennu, J. Yen, R. Petras, R. Willson, "Mars Exploration Rover Mobility and Robotic Arm Operational Performance," 2005 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, October 2005.
- Biesiadecki, J.J., Baumgartner, E.T., Bonitz, R.G., Cooper, B.K.,
Hartman, F.R., Leger, P.C., Maimone, M.W., Maxwell, S.A., Trebi-Ollennu, A.,
Tunstel, E.W. and Wright, J.R., "Mars Exploration Rover Surface Operations: Driving Opportunity at Meridiani Planum," IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Hawaii, 2005, October 2005.
- E. Tunstel, A. Howard, M. Maimone and A. Trebi-Ollennu, "Mars Exploration Rover Baseline for Flight Rover Autonomy Technology Assessment," 8th International Symposium on Artificial Intelligence, Robotics, and Automation in Space, Munich, Germany, 2005.
- Robotics Education:
- C.D. Bowman, S.H. Lievense, E. Tunstel, E. Chalfant and J. Norris, "NASA Robotics Education: Inspiring the next generation of explorers," International Journal of Intelligent Automation and Soft Computing, Special Issue: Global Look at Robotics Education, 2006, (to appear).
- E. Tunstel, T. Lippincott and M. Jamshidi, "Introduction to Fuzzy Logic With Application to Mobile Robotics," Proc. 1st National Students Conference of the National Alliance of NASA University Research Centers, NC A&T State Univ., Greensboro, NC, 1996.
- N. Vira and E. Tunstel, "Use of Symbolic Computation in Robotics Education," IEEE Transactions on Education, v. 35 no. 1, 1992, pp. 18-30.
- E. Tunstel and N. Vira, "An Interactive Program for Symbolic Kinematic Solution of Industrial Robots," International Journal of Applied Engineering Education, Vol. 5 No. 5, 1989, pp 577-585.
- URLs to more...:
- , "Click here for a list of these and other publications to download.," .