Andres Castano, PhD
Member of Technical Staff
- A. Kiely, A. Ansar, A. Castano, M. Klimesh, J. Maki, "Lossy Image Compression and Stereo Ranging Quality from Mars Rovers," IPN Progress Report, vol. 42-168, Feb. 15, 2007.
- A. Castano, A. Fukunaga, J. Biesiadecki, L. Neakrase, P. Whelley, R. Greeley, M. Lemmon, R. Castano and S. Chien, "Autonomous detection of Dust devils and clouds on Mars," IEEE International Conf. Image Processing, October 2006.
- M. Golombeck, L. Crumpler, J. Grant, R. Greeley, N. Cabrol, T. Parker, J. Rice, J. Ward, R. Arvidson, J. Moersch, R. Fergason, P. Christensen, A. Castano, R. Castano, A. Haldemann, R. Li, J. F. Bell and S. Squyres, "Geology of the Gusev cratered plains from the Spirit rover Traverse," Journal of Geophysical Research, January 2006.
- R. Castano, T. Estlin, D. Gaines, A. Castano, B. BOrnstein, C. Chouinard and M. Judd, "Opportunistic Rover Science with the OASIS System," EOS Trans. AGU, 87(36), Abstract IN43E-06, 2006.
- R. Castano, T. Estlin, D. Gaines, A. Castano, B. Bornstein, C. Chouinard, R.C. Anderson and M. Judd, "Automated target selection for Opportunistic rover science," Lunar and Planetary Science XXXVIII, Abstarct 2434, 2006.
- R. Castano, T. Estlin, D. Gaines, A. Castano, C. Chouinard, B. Bornstein, R.C. Anderson, S. Chien, A. Fukunaga and M. Judd, "Opportunistic Rover Science: Finding and reacting to rocks, clouds and dust devils," Proc. IEEE Aerospace Conf, Big Sky, Montana, 2006.
- R. Castano, R.C. Anderson, T. Estlin, D. Gaines, A. Castano, B. Bornstein, T. Stough, C. Chouinard and M. Judd, "Rover Science on the Run: Autonomously Detecting and Reacting to Interesting Geologic Features," EOS Trans. AGU, 86(52), Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract P21A-0136, 2005.
- R. Castano, T. Estlin, M. Judd, D. Gaines, A. Castano, B. Bornstein, T. Stough, K. Wagstaff, R. C. Anderson, "Opportunistic Science with a Rover Traverse Science Data Analysis System," 8th International Symposium on Artificial Intelligence, Robotics and Automation in Space, Munchen - Germany, 2005.
- A. Ansar, A. Castano and L. Matthies, "Enhanced Real-time Stereo Using Bilateral Filtering," IEEE Proc. 2nd Int'l Symp 3D Data Processing, Visualization and Transmission, Thessaloniki, Greece, Sep. 2004.
- A. Castano, R. C. Anderson, R. Castano, T. Estlin, and M. Judd, "Intensity Based Rock Detection for Acquiring Onboard Rover Science," Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, Houston, TX, Mar. 2004, abstract #2015.
- L. Matthies, C. Bergh, A. Castano, J. Macedo and R. Manduchi, "Obstacle Detection in Foliage with Ladar and Radar," 11th International Symposium on Robotics Research (SRR), Siena, Italy, Oct. 2003.
- A. Castano and L. Matthies, "Foliage Discrimination using a Rotating Ladar," Proc. IEEE Int'l Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Taipei, Taiwan, Sep. 2003, pp. 1-6.
- K. Nickels, A. Castano and C. Cianci, "Fusion of Lidar and Stereo Range for Mobile Robots," Proceedings of 11th Intl. Conf. on Advanced Robotics (ICAR), Coimbra, Portugal, Jun. 2003.
- V. Kerzhanovich et al., "Breakthrough in Mars Balloon Technology," Proceedings of 34th Committee on Space Researc (COSPAR), Houston, Tx, Oct. 2002.
- A. Talukder, R. Manduchi, R. Castano, K. Owens, L. Matthies, A. Castano and R. Hogg, "Autonomous Terrain Characterization and Modeling for Dynamic Control of Unmanned Vehicles," IEEE/RSJ Int'l Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Lausanne, Switzerland, Sep. 2002.
- A. Castano and P. Will, ""A Polymorphic Robot Team" in "Robot Teams: From Diversity to Polymorphism", Edited by T. Balch and L. Parker, A. K. Peters," 2002.
- A. Castano and P. Will, "Representing and Discovering the Configuration of Conro Robots," Proc. of the IEEE Int'l Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Seoul, May 2001.
- A. Castano and P. Will, "Mechanical Design of a Module for Reconfigurable Robots'," Proc. IEEE/RSJ Intl. Conf. Intel. Robots Systems, Takamatsu, Nov. 2000, pp. 2203-2209.
- A. Castano, R. Chokkalingam and P. Will, "Autonomous and Self-Sufficient CONRO Modules for Reconfigurable Robots," Intl. Symp. Distributed Autonomous Robotic Systems, Knoxville, Oct. 2000, pp. 155-164.
- P. Will, A. Castano and W-M. Shen, "Robot Modularity for Self-Reconfiguration," Proc. SPIE Sensor Fusion and Decentralized Control II, Boston, Sep. 1999, pp. 236-245.
- A. Castano and N. Ahuja, "Omnifocused 3D Display Using the Nonfrontal Imaging Camera," Proc. IEEE Comp. Vision for Virtual Reality Based Human Comms. Workshop, Bombay, Jan. 1998, pp. 28-34.
- B. Bishop, A. Castano, S. Hutchinson, R. Sharma, P. Shirkey, M. Spong and N. Srinivasa, "Some Experiments in Vision-Based Robotics at the University of Illinois," Proc. IEEE Vision for Robotics Workshop, 1995.
- A. Castano and S. Hutchinson, "Hybrid Vision/Position Servo Control of a Robotic Manipulator," Proc. of the IEEE Int'l Conf. on Robotics and Automation, 1992, pp. 1264-1269.
- A. Fox, A. Castano and S. Hutchinson, "Planning and Executing visually constrained robot motions," Proc. SPIE Symposium on Advances in Intelligent Robotic Systems, 1991.
- Journal Article(s):
- A. Castano, A. Behar and P. Will, "The Conro Modules for Reconfigurable Robots," IEEE Trans. on Mechatronics, (7)4, Dec. 2002, pp. 403-409.
- A. Castano, W-M. Shen and P. Will, "CONRO: Towards Deployable Robots With Inter-Robot Metamorphic Capabilities'," Journal of Autonomous Robots, (8)3, July 2000, pp. 309-324.
- A. Castano and S. Hutchinson, "Visual Compliance: Task-Directed Visual Sero Control," IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, 10(3), June 1994, pp. 334-342.