The Extreme Environment Robotics Group pursues the development of robotic systems that operate in the extreme environments to be found on Earth and across the solar system. Our focus is on the mechanical elements of these systems, working in conjunction with the other science and engineering disciplines across JPL as required. Example extreme environment applications include:
- Rovers on the surface of Mars.
- Robots operating in the vacuum of space.
- Aerial and surface vehicles for exploring the hot, sulfuric acid-laden environment at Venus.
- Robotic systems for deep oil wells and other high temperature geophysical explorations.
- Aerial and surface vehicles for the cryogenic environment of Titan.